In this blog post, you will get detailed information about Sitopaladi Churna (Powder) such as its uses, benefits, ingredients, side effects, recommended dosage, etc. So, keep reading this article till the end, if you want to get the overall information about this herbal Churna.
What is Sitopaladi Churna (or Sitopaladi Powder)?
Sitopaladi Churna is one of the best Ayurvedic herbal medicines, which is available in both powdered and tablet forms. This Churna is also known by other names like
- Sitopaladi choorna
- Sitopaladi chooran
- Sitopaladi choornam
- Sitopaladi Powder
It is beneficial to your body in many ways and can treat various diseases related to the digestive system, respiratory system, and immune system. This Churna is helpful in improving pulmonary performance, restoring lung capacity, and boosting immunity.
Due to its expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties, Sitopaladi powder is helpful in managing respiratory troubles, like pneumonia, bronchitis, allergy, and infections of the respiratory tract (1).
Sitopaladi Powder is made up of 100% natural ingredients like Mishri, Vankshlochana, Long pepper, Cardamom (Ela), and Cinnamon (Dalchini).
As per Ayurveda, this Churna has Rasayana, and Vata-Kapha Dosha balancing properties, that aid to enhance immunity and remove sputum from the respiratory passage. Its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties also aid to improve digestion, and increase appetite.
What are the Ingredients (Composition) of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
The major ingredients used in the formulation of Sitopaladi Churna consist of the following:
|Common name of the Ingredient||Scientific name of the Ingredient||Proportion of the Ingredient||Percentage of the Ingredient|
|Dalchini (Cinnamon or Twak)||Cinnamomum Zeylanicum||1 part||3.23%|
|Elaichi (Green Cardamom)||Elettaria Cardamomum||2 parts||6.45%|
|Long Pepper (Pippali)||Piper Longum||4 parts||12.90%|
|Vanshlochan (The inner white light part of the bamboo tree)||Bambusa arundinacea||8 parts||25.81%|
|Sitopala (Mishri or Crystallized sugar lumps or Sugar candy)||—-||16 parts||51.61%|
How to make Sitopaladi Churna (Powder) at home?
You can make Sitopaladi Churna at home by following the below-listed steps:
- Collect all the ingredients (i.e. Mishri, Vanshlochan, Cinnamon, Long pepper, and Cardamom) separately in the above-mentioned proportions.
- Crush them well to form a powder of each ingredient.
- Filter them through a clean cotton cloth.
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a uniform mixture.
This mixture is the Sitopaladi Churna. Now, store this mixture in an air-tight container.
Chemical Composition of Sitopaladi Churna
There are certain organic and inorganic elements present in Sitopaladi Churna (2).
The organic elements include carbohydrates, amino acids, tannins, alkaloids, flavonoids, steroids, proteins, and phenolic compounds.
The inorganic elements include sulfate, chloride, iron, nitrate, carbonate, phosphate, sodium, magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
What are the Medicinal Properties of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
This Churna contains the following medicinal properties:
- Digestive Stimulant
What are the Therapeutic Indications of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
The health conditions which can be relieved with the use of Sitopaladi Churna are:
- Seasonal and Allergic Rhinitis
- Loss of appetite
- Chronic gastritis
- Lack of physical strength
- Chronic bronchitis
What are the Ayurvedic Properties of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
Ayurvedic Properties of this Churna are:
|Guna (Pharmacological Action)||Snigdha, Laghu|
|Rasa (Taste on the tongue)||Madhura, Katu|
|Vipaka (Transformed state after digestion)||Madhura (Sweet)|
|Virya (Action)||Ushna (Hot)|
|Dosha Effect||Balances Vata and Kapha Dosha, but increases Pitta Dosha|
What are the Ayurvedic Actions of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
Ayurvedic actions of this Churna are:
- Kapha–Vatahar (Balances Kapha and Vata Dosha)
- Deepan (Appetizer)
- Pachan (Digestive)
- Kasa-har (Gives relief in cough)
- Jwarghna (Relieves fever)
- Pratishyayhar (Gives relief in coryza)
What Are The Uses And Benefits of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
Let’s have a look at the main uses and benefits of Sitopaladi Churna:
1) Sitopaladi Churna Benefits For Cough And Respiratory Problems
This Churna is beneficial to treat cough and respiratory problems. It has potent antitussive properties which aid to soothe the cough. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of this Churna are useful to control respiratory infections (2).
According to Ayurveda, cough is known as Kasa and is grouped into five categories:
1. Vataja Kasa
It is a dry cough that gets aggravated at night and produces some mucus.
2. Pittaja Kasa
It is a cough that produces moderate mucus, which is yellow or greenish in color.
3. Kaphaja Kasa
It is a productive cough that produces a large amount of white and sticky mucus.
4. Kshataja Kasa
Kshataja Kasa is a cough that originates from a chest injury
5. Kshayaja Kasa
Kshayaja Kasa is a cough that originates from chronic diseases like tuberculosis.
Intake of Sitopaladi Churna is beneficial in all these types of cough. It is taken with different adjuvants (like ghee, honey, etc.) depending on the type of cough.
2) Sitopaladi Churna (Powder) Benefits For Allergies
People with allergies might experience some symptoms such as a runny nose or watery eyes in response to allergens like pollen, dust, etc. Sitopaladi Powder is beneficial in treating allergies in a natural way.
The antihistaminic properties of this Churna prevent the release of inflammatory mediators and control various symptoms of allergy.
3) Sitopaladi Churna Benefits For Vocal Cord Nodules
The misuse or abuse of vocal cords leads to the occurrence of vocal nodules. If you are in a profession where you need to deliver a high-volume speech, then there is a risk that you may develop the problem of vocal nodules.
But it can be easily managed with the combination of Sitopaladi Powder and other Ayurvedic medicines. According to a study, by consuming this Churna, the person may get relief from the symptoms and may get back his/her original voice (3).
4) Sitopaladi Churna Benefits For Migraine
- Refraining from alcohol consumption
- Abstaining from smoking
- Morning or evening walk
- Proper and adequate sleep of 8 to 9 hours
5) Sitopaladi Churna Benefits For Anemia
Anemia is a condition in which there is a decrease in the total amount of healthy red blood cells (RBCs) or hemoglobin in the blood. Iron deficiency is the most common cause of this condition.
Common symptoms of anemia are irritability, tiredness, dizziness, breathing shortness, etc. The use of Sitopaladi Churna is helpful in increasing iron absorption by the body and hence, is beneficial in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia.
6) Sitopaladi Churna Benefits For Digestion
The Pachan (digestive) and Deepan (appetizing) properties of Sitopaladi Churna (powder) help in improving digestion. Its carminative properties help in providing relief from bloating and gas accumulation.
7) Sitopaladi Powder Benefits for Diabetes
Complex carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars by the digestive enzyme amylase before they enter the blood and increase blood sugar levels.
In vitro studies have shown that Sitopaladi Churna may have potent amylase inhibitory properties. This property might prevent the body from absorbing these complex carbohydrates and helps to control blood sugar levels after meals. However, human studies are needed to provide its potential usage for managing blood sugar levels in humans.
8) Sitopaladi Churna Helps to Avoid Infections
This Churna has powerful anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties that are very helpful in eradicating bacteria from the body. It contains bioactive compounds that aid to treat wounds and promotes healing.
This Churna contains strong immune-modulatory ingredients that are helpful in boosting immunity. Hence, Sitopaladi Churna is beneficial to children with recurrent upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs), as it increases their immunity and decreases their tendency to recurrent infections.
9) Other Benefits of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)
Other Benefits of Sitopaladi Churna are as follows:
1. It is beneficial to lower the inflammation of the lungs, respiratory tract, and nose.
2. It also provides benefits for infective sinusitis and sinus congestion.
3. It promotes digestion. Hence, this Churna is one of the best remedies to treat indigestion.
4. It improves appetite and is beneficial for anorexia nervosa.
5. It has the benefit of providing strength to the body.
6. Persons suffering from asthma can get ease in breathing with the intake of this Churna.
7. Sitopaladi Powder is beneficial for the reduction of phlegm formation in the respiratory tract.
8. This Churna along with other herbal medicines is beneficial in the treatment of sore throat.
9. Swollen tonsils or inflammation in tonsils can be treated with the consumption of this Churna.
What are The Side Effects of Using Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
Sitopaladi Churna is considered one of the safest Ayurvedic herbal medicines which have no side effects when consumed within the recommended dosage.
But few people may feel gastritis, especially if they take it before a meal.
Further, diabetic people should use this Churna with caution or only after consulting their doctor, as it may affect their blood sugar levels.
Consult an Ayurvedic practitioner for better suitability of this Churna in your particular case.
What is the Dosage of Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
Depending upon the age, the severity of the disease, and the condition of the patient the effective therapeutic dosage of Sitopaladi Churna may vary from person to person.
The general dosage may vary between 1 to 2 grams two to three times a day and should preferably be taken after meals.
This Churna is consumed with appropriate adjuvant (like honey, ghee, etc.) depending on the cause of the condition.
Precautions to be Taken with Sitopaladi Churna
The precautions which should be taken while consuming SItopaladi Churna are as follows:
- If this Churna is taken in moderation, this is particularly safe.
- The formulation should be stored in an air-tight container to prevent microbial growth and degradation of ingredients.
- This herbal formulation contains sugar candy as one of its ingredients. Hence if you have high blood sugar, then it should be consumed after consulting a doctor.
- Avoid taking this formulation on an empty stomach.
- It can be taken by pregnant women and lactating mothers but they should necessarily take consultation from their gynecologist or Ayurvedic practitioner.
So, with this, we have discussed everything about this beneficial Ayurvedic formulation called Sitopaladi Churna (Powder). It has many health benefits, but I always suggest you consult with the doctor before consuming it for any purpose. I hope you have enjoyed reading this article and would prove to be beneficial for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to use Sitopaladi Churna (Powder)?
Take the recommended dose of this Churna with honey or ghee once or twice a day.
Avoid taking this Churna on an empty stomach, and also don’t take any food item at least 30 minutes after consuming this herbal formulation to get its maximum benefit.
Is Sitopaladi Churna additive in nature?
No, this Churna isn’t additive in nature.
Can Sitopaladi Churna (Powder) be used in covid infections?
According to a case report, this herbal formulation may be beneficial in post-covid lung complications due to its benefits for the respiratory system (5).
How much time does it take to start showing results?
It depends on the dosage and other medicines you are using with this Churna. Generally, it takes one to two weeks’ time to start showing results.
1) Quality Assessment of Sitopaladi Churna Using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Coupled with Multivariate Analysis
2) STUDY OF SITOPALADI CHURNA WITH REFERENCE TO ITS PHYSICOCHEMICAL, PHYTOCHEMICAL & MICROBIAL ANALYSIS
3) A rare case report: Ayurvedic management of vocal cord nodules
4) Response to Ayurvedic therapy in the treatment of migraine without aura
5) Ayurvedic evaluation and treatment of Covid 19: A case report
This article is intended for informational purposes only. Any information associated with this article should not be considered a substitute for prescriptions suggested by local healthcare professionals.