In Ayurveda, Anu Taila is used as a preventive medicine which is helpful in preventing diseases of the upper parts of the body.
In this blog post, we will dig out the topic to get the essential information about Anu Taila right from its uses and benefits to side effects, dosage, ingredients, etc. So, let’s quickly jump into the topic.
What is Anu Taila (or Anu Oil)?
Anu Taila is oil or drops used for various treatments in Ayurveda. It is made up of pure herbal ingredients. This oil is majorly used as a Nasya treatment (i.e. nasal administration of drops of the oil). The other names by which the oil is known are Anu oil, Anu Tail, Anu Thailam, and Anu Tailam.
This oil contains anti-inflammatory and Tridosha-shamak properties. It is an effective remedy for the cure of diseases related to the four main senses (i.e. ear, nose, eyes, and tongue), and throat.
This oil is used for the treatment of diseases related to the head, face, brain, eyes, nose, ear, and neck.
The beneficial dosage and effectiveness of Anu oil vary from person to person based on their condition and other factors.
What Are The Ingredients (Composition) of Anu Taila?
The ingredients (composition) of Anu Taila (or Anu Thailam) are:
|Common Name of The Ingredient||Scientific Name of The Ingredient|
|Chandana (Sandalwood)||Santalum album|
|Cardamom (Ela)||Elettaria cardamomum|
|Darvi (bark)||Sida cordifolia|
|Sesame Oil (Till taila)|
|Goat Milk (Aja Dugdha)|
What Are The Therapeutic Indications of Anu Taila (or Anu Thailam)?
The therapeutic indications of Anu Taila are diseases related to the arms, shoulders, head, neck, sinuses, eyes, nose, and brain.
1) Therapeutic Indications Related to Airways, Lungs, Sinus, and Nose
- Sinus Congestion
- Chronic Coryza
2) Therapeutic Indications Related to Muscles, Joints, and Bones
- Neck Stiffness
- Jaw Stiffness
- Frozen Shoulder
- Stiffness in the Head
3) Therapeutic Indications Related to Vocal Cord, Oral Cavity, and Mouth
- Hoarseness of Voice
4) Therapeutic Indications Related to Eyes
- Weak Eyesight
- Preventive medicines for keeping optimum eyesight
5) Therapeutic Indications Related to the Mind, Nerves, and Brain
- Mental stress
- Memory loss
- Facial Paralysis
- Poor Concentration
- Depression (with passive symptoms)
What Are The Uses and Benefits of Anu Taila?
Anu Thailam is a very effective remedy for various health issues. There are wide uses and benefits associated with this Ayurvedic oil.
Key Benefits of Anu Taila (or Anu Thailam)
Before you know the uses and benefits of Anu Taila in detail, have a look at its key benefits given below:
- Anu Taila is useful in treating problems such as sinusitis, nasal allergies, and nasal congestion.
- It helps in nourishing and strengthening the throat, tongue, nose, ears, and eyes.
- The anti-inflammatory and Tridosha-shamak properties of the oil help in providing strength to the nerves. Thus it is beneficial in treating the symptoms of facial paralysis.
- The Taila is beneficial for treating allergic rhinitis.
- Anu Oil improves eyesight and prevents eye diseases.
- It helps clear sinuses and facilitates the ease of breathing.
- It provides strength to the jaw joint, facial muscles, and other facial structures.
- Anu Thailam prevents premature greying of hair and helps cure hair fall.
Uses and Benefits of Anu Taila (or Anu Thailam)
Now, let’s know what are the uses and benefits of Anu Taila:
1) Anu Thailam Can Be Used As Preventive Medicine
Anu Taila can be used as preventive medicine for many diseases. According to Ayurveda, the nose is considered a door to the brain, and Nasya of Anu Thailam can prevent many illnesses related to the brain including dementia, migraine, memory loss, Parkinson’s disease, etc.
This oil provides strength to all the structures of the nasal cavity and clears the sinuses. It also helps to prevent inflammation of nasal mucosa, chronic catarrh, sinusitis, and breathing difficulties that occur due to congestion.
2) Anu Taila Benefits for Chronic coryza, Sinusitis, and Nasal Congestion
The Nasya (nasal administration of drops) of Anu Taila helps to wipe off microbes, allergens, excess mucus, and dirt particles from the nose and sinuses. This oil also lubricates the nasal mucosa and sinuses.
Therefore, it is helpful in reducing chronic coryza, sinus infections, and nasal congestion.
One can get relief from headaches and migraine by using Anu Taila. It helps to enhance the functioning of nerves and the brain. The headache caused due to congestion or sinusitis can be treated with this oil. Further, the headache caused by overactivity in the brain structures can also be treated with Anu Taila.
4) Anu Thailam Benefits for Poor Concentration and Memory Loss
According to Ayurveda, Vata Dosha is responsible for affecting the functioning of the brain which leads to poor concentration and memory loss. The excessive level of Vata in the brain may lead to disturbing dreams, increased mind wandering, poor coordination, memory loss, and poor concentration. Regular use of Anu Taila on a daily basis can reduce these problems.
Anu Tailam delays the aging of the brain and helps to increase memory and concentration.
5) Anu Taila Benefits For Facial Paralysis
Stroke, tumor, trauma, infections, etc. lead to damage or injury of the facial nerve which may cause facial paralysis.
Anu Taila helps decrease aggravated Vata Dosha, reduces nerve damage, and promotes nerve functioning and faster recovery from facial paralysis.
6) Anu Thailam Benefits for Depression and Mental Stress
According to Ayurveda, all three Doshas (i.e. Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) are involved in all ailments including depression and mental stress. The regular use of Anu Taila keeps all the Doshas balanced and keeps their harmony in the body (mainly the upper parts of the body).
This oil boosts the feeling of relaxation after an hour of its usage, which treats depression and lowers mental stress.
What Are The Side Effects of Using Anu Taila (or Anu Thailam)?
There are hardly any severe side effects associated with Anu Taila. If it is taken with proper care or as directed by the physician, then it is usually safe to use this oil.
Sometimes mild side effects may occur after its use, which includes:
1. Excessive sneezing
2. Mild irritation in mouth, throat, and nose.
3. A person may feel nasal congestion after using Anu Tailam, due to excessive secretions. These are usually normal in process of panchakarma detoxification. It is recommended to spit out all the secretions. All the discomfort and irritation will be reduced within just minutes.
4. If the irritation continues for more than 30 minutes, then consult with the panchakarma therapist as soon as possible.
What is The Recommended Dosage of Anu Taila?
It is always recommended that this oil should be used only as per the direction of the physician. But the ideal dosage of Anu Taila for preventive purposes is 2 to 4 drops a day.
For preventive purposes or for regular use, instill 2 drops of Anu oil in each nostril in the early morning every day.
For therapeutic use, your physician can advise 2 to 5 drops in the morning a day.
So, we have discussed every needed information about this Ayurvedic herbal oil, Anu Taila (or Anu Thailam). It can benefit you in many ways if used properly and according to the directions of your doctor. In case of any doubt, please consult an Ayurvedic practitioner to understand more. Hope this article would benefit you in one or the other way. Stay connected with us to get more information related to Ayurveda and Ayurvedic products.
This article is intended for informational purposes only. Any information associated with this article should not be considered a substitute for prescriptions suggested by local healthcare professionals.